The star of ‘The Runaways’ talks to BettyConfidential about fame, beauty, singing in front of Joan Jett, and being BFFs with Kristen Stewart.
Don’t hate her because she’s beautiful. Dakota Fanning isn’t your little child star anymore. She’s all grown up – and now is being called a big screen beauty.
“I’m not sure what it means when people say you’re pretty,” a sweet but nervous Fanning confesses during a phone interview from her California home. “I just try to be comfortable with who I am. I think the way you look on the outside shows your comfort level on the inside.”
“Women try so hard to be pretty when I think what’s really beautiful is your personality. Stop it with the mascara and just find some peace within yourself about your life,” says Fanning, who has been finding peace and lots of work for eons. She has acted since she was a tot in movies like I Am Sam and Charlotte’s Web.
Now, she’s a rocker in skimpy outfit that barely covers what needs to be covered in the musical biopic The Runaways.
It’s the sex, drugs, and rock and roll in the story of Joan Jett (Kristen Stewart) and her first group The Runaways fronted by the girl who crooned the ultimate female rock rebellion song “Cherry Bomb." Fanning plays teen singing queen Cherie Currie, who has been dubbed "the lost daughter of Iggy Pop and Brigitte Bardot."
The film reunites Stewart and Fanning, who both star in The Twilight Saga as Bella and Jane. There is no blood sucking in their new movie, but there was a bit of sucking face between the two.
The film reunites Stewart and Fanning, who both star in The Twilight Saga as Bella and Jane. There is no blood sucking in their new movie, but there was a bit of sucking face between the two.
You have a make-out kissing scene with Kristen Stewart in the new film. What was it like for the two of you to lock lips?
Yes, we have a kissing scene. The whole thing has obviously been blown up so much. It’s not like a romance. The kissing is something that happens amongst friends. It’s not talked about later on. It’s dumb that our kissing is all over the news. I guess Dakota and Kristen kissing makes a good story, but people might be a little disappointed. We just kiss. That's it!
Yes, we have a kissing scene. The whole thing has obviously been blown up so much. It’s not like a romance. The kissing is something that happens amongst friends. It’s not talked about later on. It’s dumb that our kissing is all over the news. I guess Dakota and Kristen kissing makes a good story, but people might be a little disappointed. We just kiss. That's it!
What was the appeal of The Runaways?
I loved this project because I don’t think a lot of people know about The Runaways and Cherie’s story. I didn’t know a lot about Cherie. I vaguely heard the song “Cherry Bomb” before, but when I read the script and watched her Live in Japan videotapes, I fell in love with her. She was 15 when she became famous and I was 15 when I did the role. It was perfect timing because she was going through some the same things as I do when it comes to dealing with growing up.
I loved this project because I don’t think a lot of people know about The Runaways and Cherie’s story. I didn’t know a lot about Cherie. I vaguely heard the song “Cherry Bomb” before, but when I read the script and watched her Live in Japan videotapes, I fell in love with her. She was 15 when she became famous and I was 15 when I did the role. It was perfect timing because she was going through some the same things as I do when it comes to dealing with growing up.
Now, let’s get to the real nitty gritty. Were you scared to stand in front of a microphone and play a rock star? The word is you did all of your own singing!
That’s me singing! And believe me, singing was a scary proposition. It has always been something I felt I wasn’t good at – at all. Standing at the mike, I felt so self-conscious. Now, I realize I would never want to sing as myself, but I can hide behind someone else and sing.
That’s me singing! And believe me, singing was a scary proposition. It has always been something I felt I wasn’t good at – at all. Standing at the mike, I felt so self-conscious. Now, I realize I would never want to sing as myself, but I can hide behind someone else and sing.
Wait, we’re not going to see you on tour with Miley Cyrus?
Let’s just say you won’t ever see the Dakota Live, 2 disc set. It’s just SO not happening.
Let’s just say you won’t ever see the Dakota Live, 2 disc set. It’s just SO not happening.
How was the process of singing classic hard rocking songs like “Cherry Bomb?”
I was sent to a recording studio and realized that there was no turning back. I had to sing because they frown on spending money for you to just stand there! So there I was in the recording booth thinking, “Oh, my God! I really do have to sing a song.” I was thrown into it and I did it. What I did during the first two recordings is what you hear on the CD. It was just like how The Runaways recorded. They were fresh off the streets and thrown into it.
I was sent to a recording studio and realized that there was no turning back. I had to sing because they frown on spending money for you to just stand there! So there I was in the recording booth thinking, “Oh, my God! I really do have to sing a song.” I was thrown into it and I did it. What I did during the first two recordings is what you hear on the CD. It was just like how The Runaways recorded. They were fresh off the streets and thrown into it.
We know you from your sweet image as a child star. Was it hard to do a role where you’re this junkie on all sorts of drugs and pills?I think the drugs are an important part of Cherie’s story. Ultimately, her habit is why she leaves the band and ends that part of her career. She knows she needs help. I think the movie has a great message when it comes to this part of her life. It shows a woman who really gets lured into this life that's very fast and then she hits rock bottom. There's a scene outside a grocery store where she virtually collapses and knows she needs help. It's brave to ask for help when you really need it, but are afraid to admit you have a problem.
On a lighter note, was it fun to strut around in the iconic pink corset that Cherie wears when she first sang the teen rock anthem “Cherry Bomb” on stage?
I call it interesting clothing. But I really loved the costumes. They were like another character. What I wore was actual vintage clothing from the ‘70s. It was great because clothes were made so differently back in those days. They felt heavier and that really got me into the character. And I was really excited to wear that corset and do the “Cherry Bomb” number because that’s where Cherie really owns herself for the first time. She doesn’t become a different person, but opens up a new part of herself. For fans of Cherie, they will love it because she really did perform in that corset. It was a defining moment for her.
I call it interesting clothing. But I really loved the costumes. They were like another character. What I wore was actual vintage clothing from the ‘70s. It was great because clothes were made so differently back in those days. They felt heavier and that really got me into the character. And I was really excited to wear that corset and do the “Cherry Bomb” number because that’s where Cherie really owns herself for the first time. She doesn’t become a different person, but opens up a new part of herself. For fans of Cherie, they will love it because she really did perform in that corset. It was a defining moment for her.
Is it true that you and Kristen have become great friends in real life, plus you hang out all the time on the set of the next Twilight films? Do you do each other's nails and talk boys? What's going on?
Kristen is one of my best friends in life now. We talk about everything, but I'm not saying much more! That’s another reason we were so excited to do The Runaways together. I couldn’t ask for a better person to stand by my side while I did a more grown up role. Now, we hang out all the time. We go shopping or just out for dinner. The press loves it.
Kristen is one of my best friends in life now. We talk about everything, but I'm not saying much more! That’s another reason we were so excited to do The Runaways together. I couldn’t ask for a better person to stand by my side while I did a more grown up role. Now, we hang out all the time. We go shopping or just out for dinner. The press loves it.
Didn’t you also hang out with the real Joan Jett and Cherie Currie to prep for this movie?
We had this band practice and Joan and Cherie would show up and just be around. It’s so cool to see their dynamic today. They’re friends now and Joan is just the coolest, nicest, most down to earth woman. Cherie has cleaned up her act. She hit her lowest of low and now life is good for her. I consider her a friend. I also admire her because she accepts that ‘that was then’ and ‘that was what it was like then’ and got help. She made courageous decisions and has an incredible family.
We had this band practice and Joan and Cherie would show up and just be around. It’s so cool to see their dynamic today. They’re friends now and Joan is just the coolest, nicest, most down to earth woman. Cherie has cleaned up her act. She hit her lowest of low and now life is good for her. I consider her a friend. I also admire her because she accepts that ‘that was then’ and ‘that was what it was like then’ and got help. She made courageous decisions and has an incredible family.
But were you freaking out having to sing in front of her?
Do you know what it’s like to play and sing in front of Joan Jett and Cherie Currie? Those two were the only opinions that mattered in that moment. I remember Cherie pulled me aside and said, “I’m really happy with what you’re doing.” That was everything to me.
Do you know what it’s like to play and sing in front of Joan Jett and Cherie Currie? Those two were the only opinions that mattered in that moment. I remember Cherie pulled me aside and said, “I’m really happy with what you’re doing.” That was everything to me.
Give us a few hints from the upcoming Twilight film,Eclipse.
I’m in the film a bit, and it’s the first time I ever came back to a movie set and cast. The rest of the Twilight cast has been together for years and I’m the new girl. But I do have the best powers. I get to police all the vampires, and I can kill them. You know what? It’s nice to be that powerful. And it’s also nice not to have to sing!
I’m in the film a bit, and it’s the first time I ever came back to a movie set and cast. The rest of the Twilight cast has been together for years and I’m the new girl. But I do have the best powers. I get to police all the vampires, and I can kill them. You know what? It’s nice to be that powerful. And it’s also nice not to have to sing!
Source
xoxo
Carrie
0 comments:
Post a Comment