This time around Kellan rang me up to talk about "Meskada," a crime drama following two down on their luck friends (Kellan & Jonathan Tucker) who get mixed up in a small town murder investigation. In addition to finding out why this indie appealed to Kellan, I learned that his very well plotted plan for box office domination is still very much in effect. Next step: rebooting Bourne?
PopWrap: When we spoke back in 2008, "Twilight" had yet to come out -- what have the last two years been like for you?
Kellan Lutz: Life flies by man. You look back and think, "God, what have I done in the last two years [laughs]." But I love making movies and I feel so blessed for someone who didn't dream of ever being an actor. If I don't win an Oscar, I won't cry a river ... but it would be amazing [laughs].
Kellan: It’s just so different from anything I've ever done. I’ve been a part of these commercial movies, like the “Twilight” saga, so I wanted to play something that was real. Something that may not bring in a huge audience, but had a very well written story to tell. Plus, I grew up in a small farming town in Iowa, and the conflict that they go through with jobs disappearing is very real, so I really liked that about the script.
PW: But there are a lot of younger male characters in the film -- what appealed to you in particular about Eddie?
Kellan: He is a very simple character, he’s just trying to help out his friend – who he sees like a brother – when he gets pulled into this whirlwind of a mistake. He gets caught up in something bad by trying to do something good.
PW: Plus, it's the first movie where you probably didn't have workouts written into the contract.
Kellan: [laughs] Yea, but then they told me my sex scene would be topless. I thought, “of course! Of course you guys would ask that!” But you know what, if it helps the movie by bringing in two more people who just want to see me shirtless, great. It’s a fantastic story, so I’m happy to help in any way.
PW: And then of course that scene shows up in the trailer.
Kellan: Trailer? It’s on the poster! I couldn’t believe they picked the only shot where you could tell I didn’t have a shirt on [laughs].
Kellan: I have to say, I really take pride in the career that I’ve chosen. I didn’t have the dream to be an actor, so this is a great hobby I want to keep doing for the rest of my life. And when you look at something that way, you want to do it right. By no means do I need to work all the time, or that I am still in everyone’s face. I don’t care about that – it’s all about choosing better projects.
PW: I'm really excited about "Immortals," where you play Poseidon.
Kellan: It's been a dream of mine to work with Tarsem [Singh, director]. And to do so alongside Mickey Rourke, Henry Cavill, Luke Evans, Frieda Pinto is really cool. Sometimes I think, ‘wow, I got here!’ I also have “Love, Wedding, Marriage” coming out, which is a romantic comedy. With that one, again, I just wanted to do something different. Then I did The Killing Game,” with Sam Jackson, which is a huge action movie. That’s where the end goal is.
PW: How do you mean?
Kellan: I want to be the Matt Damon of my generation. Someone who can do a serious drama and then a really funny movie like “The Informant" and then kick some butt in The Bourne franchise. I want to get my hands on something like that because I’m very athletic, I love action movies – I love those real world action heroes. I look up to Matt Damon’s career. He’s a very intelligent actor and person. I try and study what he does.
PW: Well they're rebooting the Bourne franchise, have you thrown your hat into that ring?
Kellan: [laughs] I have been throwing many hats into that ring. I’ve had a couple great meetings and it’s something I’m really pushing for as much as I can. That's one role I want. I want it baaaad.
nypos
~Robstenfan
0 comments:
Post a Comment